What is abacus math?
Abacus is a method used to improve mathematical skills in kids in an intelligent and playful way. It is considered to be the fastest way of learning math thereby helping improve the problem-solving ability of kids.
It’s an ancient multi-sensory calculating tool, that helps kids understand math in an easy and interesting manner. Abacus is a Chinese calculator also called “Suanpan” and has been used for more than 2,000 years back.
It consists of a wooden frame divided by a horizontal bar into upper and lower sections. The vertical wires consist of beads from top to bottom. The part of the wire is referred to as heaven or upper deck, and the area below the bar is referred to as “Earth” or lower deck.
In this tool, the lower bead has a value of one and the upper bead has a value of 5. The abacus method is used to perform math problems like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and even extraction of square roots and cubic roots.
Why is an abacus called mental math?
In the abacus, the kids are asked to mentally visualize an abacus to carry out mathematical calculations. In the abacus method, the kids mentally move the beads to do the math and gain the ability to calculate extraordinarily large numbers at an expert level with tremendous speed and accuracy. Not only that they are also prepared to solve problems outside of arithmetic. With the abacus method, the kids do not have to memorize as they learn the skills of visualizing the problems, which fosters the child’s imagination
Advantages of Abacus math
- Higher sense of reasoning power – The abacus learning tool doesn’t need a pencil and paper or mechanical calculators as it relies on visual working memory.
- It improves concentration – it is normal for the child to get distracted especially while they are learning math, but in abacus math, the child gets more focused and starts visualizing the movements of beads in mind. This exercise helps the child to apply the same logic in their day-to-day lives thereby increasing their concentration.
- Development of long- and short-term memory – with an abacus the child learns to analyze and solve the complex calculation mentally and when they apply the same technique to the other subjects outside mathematics they are in well position to solve it with ease as it keeps the child’s mind sharp.
- Critical thinking skills – abacus math helps the child improve hand-eye coordination which stimulates the right side of the brain. Such child becomes multi-tasking and performs well in other extracurricular activities such as sports, music, and other subjects that enhance mind development and the capability of “thinking out of the box”
- Self–reliance – once the child develops the skill of problem-solving on their own, their sense of confidence grows higher encouraging them to solve the problems one after another on their own.
Abacus for Kids
Do you know our brain development is at its fullest zest in early childhood? And hence our education begins in childhood so that anything we master becomes our lifelong learnings. That’s where the abacus comes into play. Abacus helps leads to strong mental math skills as it is considered to be an effective brain enhancement tool that helps solve simple to complex mathematical calculations like decimals, square roots, and cube roots.
Abacus Math or School Math
Many parents have confusion and have questions whether abacus Math will conflict with School Math? Let us clear this doubt, there should be no such confusion as abacus math does not interfere with school math. In fact, the child learns to calculate the problems mentally with unusual speed and precision and that frees them from manual tools thus giving them the power to think. It also helps release the academic stress and the child develops cognitive skills showing remarkable progress.
Understand finger technique in Abacus
In abacus math, the thumb, the index finger along with middle finger are used to move the beads in the upper and the lower deck. The child is able to calculate digits up to 99 by using finger combinations.
What is the right age to learn abacus?
Actually, there is no right age for learning abacus or Vedic math as it is a fun way to help the child learn math, however, we recommend the child can start learning abacus anywhere between 4-5 years of age till 14 years. But at this age, it is more of a playful way like singing numbers and we try to inculcate the concepts as per their understanding. At the later stage, we start with basic concepts. Once they are clear with the concepts and the fundamentals
Our Abacus program course
We at Maths Wizard offer a very friendly, pleasant, and playful environment for our students.
Our course is designed keeping in mind the individual student with the highest quality of unique approach. We believe that a great way to teach math is a technology that awakens the creativity in students that gets them excited for each class. Our goal is to empower the students with life skills, competence, and self-development in their learning journey using our cutting-edge teaching techniques.
5yrs to 7yrs.
Basic (1 & 2) + 9 levels…. Total 11 levels…
Basic 1 Level – 15 classes
Basic 2 Level – 30 classes
Levels 1 to 9 – 30 classes each level
We are extremely thankful to MATHS WIZARD institute for providing a strong platform and motivating kids to excel in abacus. It help us identify Fatima potential. She has gain more confidence.
Our special appreciation to maths wizard for keeping the kids busy and challenged during her class hour. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other parents.
(mother of Fatima Shaikh)
- Pune -
One of the Maths Wizard teacher has been teaching my son taking remote classes from India. She has been very accommodating with time zone difference. Shows up promptly, keeps kiddo engaged, helps children understand the concepts and is very patient. I’m extremely fond of her and can’t wait for my younger one to start learning from her! Thank you MATHS WIZARD.
(mother of Ekam)
- U.S.A -